Ottawa is among one of the places in world whose rich culture and several attractions have made it very popular among tourists. This capital city of Canada has a number of architectural attractions and monuments to see. If you are planning a visit to Ottawa, you should include following attractions in your tour list as your visit would be incomplete without seeing these attractions.
Canadian Museum of Civilization
Canadian Museum of Civilization is most popular and most visited museum of Canada. It is located along Ottawa River and is being managed by Canadian Museum of Civilization Corporation. This museum is featured with four galleries which are as follows:
- Grand Hall: This is the first level of the museum which houses largest colored photograph in the world. Moreover, this gallery is famous for colossal Spirit of Haida Gwaii pattern which is created by famous artist Bill Reid.
- First Peoples Hall: Located at the first level of this museum, this gallery shows the history of Aboriginal People of Canada. Here you can view exhibitions displaying life styles of First Peoples. Tourists are provided with useful information on 20000 years of history.
- Canada Hall: Canada Hall is located at the third level of museum and gives information to tourists on modern history of Canada. Period costumes have also been displayed here for visitors’ interest. The main features of this hall are Basque whaling ship and Airport lounge.
- Face to Face (The Canadian Personalities Hall): This gallery is located at the uppermost level of this museum. It was opened in June 2007 and is featured with profile of world famous personalities of Canada such as authors, politicians and artists.
Dows Lake Pavilion
Located in the center point of Ottawa city, this pavilion is a popular tourist spot providing many recreational facilities. The best time to visit this beautiful lake is summer time because in winter, the lake freezes and you can only do skating on frozen platform of this lake. In summer season, you can visit this lake to enjoy boating in its warm waters. You can also refresh your mind and body with cool breeze of Dows Lake Pavilion. Besides outing, boating and skating, you can also enjoy a memorable dining experience as there are many refreshment corners and eateries here on Dows Lake Pavilion.
Royal Canadian Mint
Royal Canadian Mint is an organization that is known for its skills in making coins. This organization produces all Canadian coins, tokens, foreign currency, medals and Maple Leaf bullion coins. Royal Canadian Mint was actually established to produce only Canadian coins, but now it has acquired a good reputation for outstanding quality all over the world. The gold Maple Leaf coin produced by this organization is said to be 99.99% pure.
Canadian War Museum
This museum is located at the banks of Ottawa River and has become a landmark of this city. Its marvelous building is an attraction in itself and the facilities provided at this museum include a restaurant, underground parking, a theatre having 250 seats and bus pick up and drop off areas. Canadian War Museum hosts a number of interesting exhibitions which include the following:
- The First Floor Gallery provides a description about history of Canadian military starting from pre-European period to the end of World War I.
- The Hall of Honor displays collections related to military history through stories of 40 war heroes.
- The Second Floor Gallery shows exhibitions on World War II.
- Canada’s Peacekeepers Gallery shows collections related to recent military history.
- The Discovery Room has some interesting and interactive displays and here, you can also try military uniforms.
If you are addicted to water sports, then Rideau Canal will prove to be a dream destination for you. This canal is very beautiful and surrounded by many lakes and rivers which are linked by Rideau Canal. At Rideau Canal, you can enjoy a number of activities like:
While hiking, you can enjoy an opportunity to see local wildlife of this region. Local restaurants are also located here to provide you with delicious local specialties. There are also great facilities including barbecue spots, picnic areas, washrooms and much more.
These are some must-visit attractions of Ottawa which you can visit to make your trip enjoyable and memorable.